Strait chain that opens the entrance to the Bay of Risan was first mentioned under this name in 1458 . This strait is the focal point not only for the defense of Perast and Risan but also for Kotor . Confirming the Venetians and Turks . The intention of the Turks was that the chain after 1571 raise fortress .
Therefore, it is always very important in whose hands and both sides Chain. Perast is already in XIV. century referred to as guards the entrance to the Bay of Risan. How is this strait named, we do not know. There are two versions: The first says that there is more to Roman times Asked chain that prevented the entry of enemy fleet. Such a chain located at the entrance to Zadar and Dubrovnik port which is quite possible and strategically justified to expect in this case. The second version is based on archival data that tells us that in Kotor XIII. Century mentioned Catena family, which is the chain had their possessions. This family in their coat of arms has a chain. Right there at the entrance to the Bay of Risan probably Perast erected two small churches that are dedicated to the Virgin Mary and also defend their homes and lives once again entrusted the guard in which they claimed the most hope. These two churches mentioned in 1526, when a Charm from Perast leaves to the saying Mass on Škrpjel, in the church of Our Lady in the chain and in the church of Our Lady of Risi in the chain. These two churches mentioned and Kotor poet Ivan Bona Bolica in his famous work “Descriptio Urbis Ascriviensis”. This work was created in the first half of the XVI. Century. There is a tradition that the chain sunk a ship that was laden with rice, and the captain in gratitude to be alive for Testament church erected by the people he called “Our Lady of Oriza”. The people of the church of Our Lady of the Angels called Assumption, a second church of Our Lady. Where did the name Risa is not known. Perhaps it is the same root as the Lynx-an of the Indo-European or Latin REGHENA rigare, which means imbibe this is possible because the chain in 1461 mentioned mill called Dragomir and water “Buttercup” which flows into the sea near the church. Around the year 1600, in the hinterland of the churches mentioned in some vineyards and the little fertile land that can give a chapel cereals. Chains were the habitat of the hermit also the year 1579 mentioned in the chain three hermits who Kotor bishop ordered that at least once a month receive Communion. These hermits mentions abbot Cisilla in his Bove d’oro around 1624.. Kotor bishop Frano Županić (Franciscus de Zuppanis) bypassing the year 1579. Church of Our Lady of the Angels in the chain to use the same name: “Romitorium Chartenarum” so we learn that with the same living quarters. The church had only one movable altar. Then he mentioned the bell tower with one bell. Silver crown adorned the image of the Virgin.
Church of Our Lady of the Snows was built by the sea. Nave structure of rectangular shape.
See: Church of Our Lady of the Snows, NIP “Our Lady of the Rocks” – Perast, 2015.